Foto: © Vicky Brock
Over Ben Wyvis
The first distillery to use the name "Ben Wyvis" operated between 1879 and 1926 in Dingwall. It was founded by D. G. Ross, but was then sold to Scotch Whisky Distillers in 1887. When Scotch Whisky Distillers was liquidated, the Ben Wyvis distillery was sold to the Ferintosh Distillery Co. Ltd., which was owned by Kirker, Greer & Co. in Belfast. The name was then changed to "Ferintosh". As of 2010, no whisky from this distillery is known to exist.
The Ben Wyvis distillery that began operation in 1965 was started by the Invergordon distillery, and was built on the Invergordon grain distillery complex. It was intended primarily to produce whisky for use in Invergordon blends, but did produce a very small number of single malts. When Ben Wyvis was dismantled in 1977, the stills were saved and eventually used by the Glengyle distillery.
De whisky's van Ben Wyvis: